Dindigul Thalapakatti Biriyani (Homemade) Recipe
This Recipe is for chicken biriyani you can also use mushroom or mutton instead of chicken!
This recipe will serve about 2–3 people.
1 .750g Chicken
2. 500g Seeraga Samba Rice or How much ever you would want!
3. 5–6 Green chillies (The smaller the green chillies the spicier they are!)
4. 2 small 2 inch cinamaon Sticks
5. 3 cardamom
6. 3 Cloves
7. 1/8th of nutmeg [Jadhikai]
8. Mace of nutmeg- 1small piece [JadhiPathri]
9. 50g of ginger
10. 50g of garlic
11. Shallots or mini onions about 12–15
12. Chilli powder
13. Curd 1/2 cup
14. Juice of 1 lime
15. Coriander leaves
16. Mint Leaves
Before you switch on the stove get these things done!
a. Make the Thalapakatti Biriyani masala which is the essence of the biriyani using ingredients numbered 3–9. Make sure you finely chop the ginger and break the cinnamon into pieces while grinding it to ensure smoothness of the paste. You may add a bit of water.
b. Crush the shallots and the Garlic Without adding water.
c. Wash the chicken thoroughly and keep aside.
d. Soak the jeera rice after washing and fry the jeera rice for about 2–3 mins in 1Tbsp of ghee and make it dry. Keep it aside.
e. Chop the coriander and mint leaves and keep aside.
Lets get to the making now!
- Heat oil 1Tbsp and 1Tbsp Ghee in a pan and add the crushed garlic and shallots , fry it well and then add the Thalapakatti masala until oil separates from the mixture, you may need to add more and ghee if needed.
- Now add the chicken and 1/2 Tsp of chilli powder to the mixture , saute well until the chicken is coated well with the masala.
- Reduce thge flame and continue to cook, do not add water ,the chicken itself will secrete its own juices. close and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until its done.
- Add Half cup curd, stir once evenly and allow to cook for 5 minutes with open lid.
- Add salt, the chopped corriander leaves and mint leaves and the required amount of salt. Check for seasoning and now add the Rice and the required water for it. I cup of Seeraga Samba Rice would need 1.5 cups of Water.
- Easier is to transfer the contents to a pressure cooker and cook it for about 3–4 whistles.
- Alternatively you could cover the pan with a lid adn let it cook over medium flame for 4 mins, open the lid mix from bottom of pan and let it simmer for 10 mins on low flame. now open and See if the meat and rice have been cooked, Cook more if needed under careful supervison. Once cooked set is aside without disturbing for about 20 minutes the rice would well up in this time.